Homemade Einkorn Biscuits for a Quick & Easy Addition to Your Meal
Growing up my dad called biscuits….bang biscuits. You know….because mom would take the can and bang them on the counter so the cardboard can would split open. These homemade einkorn biscuits taste better, are healthier, and no banging on the counter required.
Disclaimer: This post may contain affiliate links. This means I may get a commission if you purchase at no extra cost to you. *Disclaimer: This is not intended to treat or diagnose. This is for informational purposes only and it is your responsibility to educate yourself. Please consult a physician for medical advice.
- Homemade Einkorn Biscuits for a Quick & Easy Addition to Your Meal
- What is einkorn?
- Does einkorn bake differently?
- What is special about einkorn?
- Does einkorn flour taste different?
- Is einkorn ok for gluten intolerant?
- Can I substitute einkorn flour for all-purpose flour?
- Einkorn biscuits
- Can you mix einkorn flour with all-purpose flour?
- Can you use einkorn flour for baking?
- Why is einkorn dough so sticky?
- Quick & Easy Einkorn Biscuits
What is einkorn?
It’s ancient wheat. check out Jovial’s article here and read about einkorn and while you are there, shop for einkorn flour.
Does einkorn bake differently?
It bakes great in recipes. Lessen the liquid by about 20% and we have had great success.
What is special about einkorn?
Einkorn is easier to digest and the flavor is divine!
Does einkorn flour taste different?
The nutty flavor is better than wheat… Check out my einkorn sourdough biscuits if you have sourdough discard to use in a baked good.
Is einkorn ok for gluten intolerant?
No. many can tolerate einkorn, but if you are gluten intolerant it is advised to stay away from all grains.
Can I substitute einkorn flour for all-purpose flour?
Yes, you can substitute with white flour. You will need to increase the liquid by about 20-25%.
These are a quick biscuit. Mix in 5 minutes (almost faster than banging a can on the counter….well, maybe)
And I have a fast way to put these on the pan.
Most people roll out the dough and use a biscuit cutter….my husband’s mom taught me a quicker way.
I love fewer steps and less clean-up.
Go to recipe at the bottom of this post to see how I save time making biscuits.
Can you mix einkorn flour with all-purpose flour?
Yes, you will need to adjust the liquid.
Can you use einkorn flour for baking?
We like einkorn flour. Being sensitive to wheat, einkorn has brought baking back into our kitchen. If you need more recipes click here for einkorn flour recipes.
Why is einkorn dough so sticky?
Our modern wheat is different as far as gluten. Einkorn flour is higher in protein and the gluten is different which makes for a wetter dough.
Try these homemade einkorn biscuits and I assure you no bang biscuits here….and they’re healthier and devoured so you may need to make a second batch.
Quick & Easy Einkorn Biscuits
- 2 1/2 cup einkorn flour
- 1 1/2 T baking powder
- pinch soda (optional)
- 1/2 t salt
- 1/2 cup butter
- 3/4 -1 cup milk
- Preheat oven to 425
- Mix dry ingredients. flour, salt, baking powder. I use a fork to incorporate
- Slice butter, or use grater and with a fork or pastry cutter, crumble butter into dry ingredients leaving chunks of butter.
- Add milk and mix well. add a little flour if dough seems to sticky.
- Oil an iron skillet with your choice of oil. I like to use bacon fat
- Save time –> Pinch off a good round of dough, flatten, dip both sides in grease and place in skillet. repeat until all biscuits are crammed in there.
- Bake 425 for 15-18 min